The minutes of the March 1, 2016, SPAN regular meeting held at 70 Glasgow Street at 6:00 P.M.
Present: Tom Castellano; Rose Jeanne Strakal; Cheryl Bonnell; Hugh Miner; Len Gromoske;
Cindy Gromoske; John Robert; Sandi Bastedo; John Tellier; and arriving 20 minutes late, David
1. Call to order by President Tom Castellano at 6:00.
2. John Robert moved to accept the February minutes, seconded by Sandi Bastedo. Motion
3. Treasurer John Robert reported a balance of $5318.66.
4. Rose Jeanne gave a membership report: 34 renewals, 12 new members, bringing our total to
51 current members.
5. Hugh Miner gave a progress report on the Lauraville Landing project: He gave a rundown on
our vision and a summary of the activities underway so far.
6. Sandi Bastedo gave a SOAR report:
Savannah is sponsoring a mural to be painted on canvas
by Beverly Owens and to be mounted on an old bridge abutment at the end of the west shore trail
in Savannah. The community has given input to the themes that will be depicted. They plan to
unveil the mural on Trail Day, June 4th.
On Friday, September 23rd, the Global Mural Conference will send a tour bus to Clyde and
Savannah to view our murals.
SOAR and the Savannah Chamber are planning for the art festival to be held in Savannah on the
24th and 25 of September.
The Audubon Center will have a Wildlife Fest on May 7th at the Center.
Brian Secor purchased the abandoned Crusoe House and will use it as a future welcoming center
The Savannah Chamber is working with the “Close the Gaps” group to direct a trail through
Savannah to connect with Montezuma.
Eat Smart New York (ESNY) sponsored by the Cornell Cooperative will have a “Family Night
of Cooking” on May 3rd. Tentative location will be at 70 Glasgow depending on the number of
The next SOAR Community Meeting will be March 17th at 6:30 at the Clyde SPAN office so
please join us especially if you have ideas for projects that will improve the health of the community.
7. Dave Hickey reported that SPAN has been registered with Canal Clean Sweep at Lauraville
Landing at 10:00 a.m. on April 23rd. Hot dog roast to follow. The Canal Corp. wishes each
participant to register on their website:
8. A possible April SPAN activity would be a question and answer session with someone
knowledgeable about computers.
9. A June activity might involve a drum circle.
The Meeting adjourned at 7:00 p.m. There followed a “Beat the Blahs” session. We were
joined by members of the community to view several amusing You Tube presentations
projected from a computer to a large space on the wall. Refreshments were available.
Next SPAN meeting at 6:30 on April 4th