The minutes of the SPAN meeting for May1st, 2018, at 70 Glasgow Street, Clyde, NY, at 7:00.
Prior to the meeting, a program called “Tomato Talk was presented by a Cornell Cooperation Extension Master Gardener.
Present: Tom Castellano; Sandi Bastedo; Hugh Miner; Dolly Romer; Rose Jeanne Strakal; Dave Hickey;
Cheryl Bonnell. Absent: John Robert
1. Cheryl Bonnell moved, and Hugh Miner seconded, to accept the minutes of April’s meeting. Motion passed.
2. Treasurer’s report shows a balance of $6559.29.
3. Membership: Rose Jeanne reported a total of 79 paid, plus 3 more today.
4. Bus trip to Cooperstown: Dolly has 36 so far. We are planning more trips later this year: Auburn, NY to
Willard Chapel; the Seward House, and lunch at Springside Inn. And later in the fall, a trip to Utica to
board an Adirondack scenic railroad trip.
5. Canal Clean Sweep, April 21st: This was very successful. The village contributed a dumpster, water,
electricity and bathroom facilities along with robo calls. Many thanks to all participants from Clyde and
surrounding communities. The Canal Corporation supplied bags and tee shirts, and SPAN provided
munchies and hot dogs. Savannah held a similar exercise on Sunday, April 22nd.
6 Sandi Bastedo detailed some of SOAR’s activities: There will be a Community Meeting on May 22, 2018,
at 6 p.m. at the Savannah Town Hall. RSVP by May 18th – 315 573-0903
7. Kayaks: John Robert and Sandi Bastedo are currently scouring sporting locations to purchase some
Kayaks, paddles and life vests. They hope to find 4 kayaks for under $1000. Total. On June 5th, 2018,
there will be a kayaking clinic put on by Montezuma Audubon Center at the Lauraville Landing boat
Launch in Clyde. Time: 4 to 6 p.m.
8 A Wildlife Fest is set for May 5th at the MAC in Savannah.
9. The Art Fest is scheduled for September 29th in Savannah.
10. Alumni Gathering at the Homecoming Football Game: Discussions so far call for no dinner, but
maybe hors d’oeuvres. Will be contacting Michael Hayden about accessing the school’s alumni data
base. The Homecoming Game is September 21st.
11. Barbershop Quartet: Hugh Miner anticipates a concert held in the school auditorium sometime in
August or September. He is hoping for a donation from SPAN of some $200. to defray the cost of a
welcoming party for the cast.
12 Among the topics for discussion at later meetings are: kiosks and signage.
The meeting closed at 8:17.