The minutes of the August SPAN meeting held at 70 Glasgow Street, Clyde, NY, on Tuesday, August 7th, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
Present: Tom Castellano; Sandi Bastedo; Dave Hickey; Hugh Miner; Rose Jeanne Strakal; Cheryl Bonnell and guests, Kelly Furman and Amber Clingerman.
Kelly and Amber are planning an event in the downtown park for Halloween on Oct. 6th from about 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. The event might include some of the following:
Pie eating contest
And various games
They are asking SPAN for help in publicizing the event.
Span can send fliers around the end of September.
Some support is from the Clyde Police Fund and SOAR can supply two banners.
1 Hugh moved to accept the June minutes, seconded by Tom Castellano. Motion passed.
2. Treasurers report: Treasurer was absent tonight.
3. Membership: Rose Jeanne gave our current membership total as 88. Discussion followed as to best way to contact prospective members – email or post card. Could we tie it in with the alumni event?
4 Discussion of the grant approval and the work Tom Sawtelle has done on the Blockhouse. Two signs are ready now and more are anticipated. Tom will submit a request for a grant that involves a loop trail on the north side of the Erie Canal, between Route 31 and the railroad tracks.
Linda Bell is looking for a micro-enterprise grant (up to 3000). Many ideas are floating around the community.
Hugh Miner moved and Cheryl Bonnell seconded “…that SPAN donates $100. To the early Halloween event.” Motion passed.
Hugh further moved, and Cheryl seconded “…that SPAN donate $125. To the Savannah Art Festival. Motion carried.
5. Discussion of the Boat Tour with suggestions for next year.
6. Discussion of the Barbershop Music event followed. Hugh thinks mid to late October to be held in the high school auditorium. Perhaps SPAN could sell refreshments.
7 Jeff Rice will meet with Hugh Miner, Sandi Bastedo, and John Robert regarding the upgrade to the 3 kiosks.
8. The plaque honoring Lois Benning has been placed near the Municipal Building.
9. Sandi read Dolly Romer’s letter regarding the bus trip to Auburn.
10. Hugh Miner is to get reimbursed $21.87 for the pictures.
11. On Sept 8th, Tom Sawtelle will conduct a walking tour.
12. A discussion followed concerning the Alumni event at the Homecoming Game on Sept.21st. It was suggested that a 5 dollar ticket will get one into the game and to the hors deserve tent. We might try to highlight the anniversary years (58, 68, 78, etc.,) Hugh will work on a poster. Sandi will email Mike Hayden.
13 Hugh moved and Sandi seconded to “…donate the same amount as last year to the Queen Contest.” Motion carried.
14. Hugh motioned and Sandi seconded, “…that the Art Group, a sub- committee of SPAN, be given a separate budget line for the Art Festival”. Motion carried.
15. Meeting adjourned at 8:07
Wednesday, August 8, 2018
The minutes of the June 5th, 2018, SPAN meeting held at 70 Glasgow Street at 6:30 p.m.
Present: Tom Castellano; Hugh Miner; Linda Bell; John Robert; Rose Jeanne Strakal; Sandi Bastedo; Dolly Romer; and David Hickey
John Robert moved, and Sandi Bastedo seconded, to accept the May minutes. Motion passed.
Treasurer John Robert reported a balance of $5155.03
Rose Jeanne Strakal suggested that we send a letter to new members, thanking them for joining.
Discussion about this year’s alumni/homecoming football event on Sept 21st. Mike Hayden has agreed to maybe get a tent, serve appetizers, and charge $5.00. We hope to include Donna Riviello and Lynn Carnivale to help organize, maybe to include alumni from 68, 78, 88, 98, and 18 as featured guests.
SOAR will be in the village park from 4 – 6 on Thurs., June 14th, the opening of this year’s farmers market. A table for signing up for the Erie Canal boat rides will be available.
Amy is working on a poster for the Art Festival.
Sandi & Tom Sawtelle have submitted a proposal for a grant for a trail loop to include the Blockhouse. Linda Bell is trying for a 2nd to get some bike amenities in the Savannah area.
Complete Streets has a policy that any construction should take in to account user friendly streets.
An amount$900. Is being set aside for signage.
Sandi reported that we are filing for a SOAR grant to start on Dec, 1st, if we get it.
Boat Tour: There will be a chicken dinner put on by Clyde firemen. A Western New your big band will be provided by the village. Mayor Jerry Fremaou will be driving the bus to the marina.
Barbershop Quartet: Hugh is looking for a $500. Commitment from SPAN and the village for a concert on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. on Aug. 18th or Sept 5th.
A plaque in memory of Lois Benning is planned to be presented when the bikers spanning the Erie Canal Trail come through.