Friday, August 31, 2018

Clyde SPAN Minutes 08-07-2018

The minutes of the August SPAN meeting held at 70 Glasgow Street, Clyde, NY, on Tuesday, August 7th, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.

Present: Tom Castellano; Sandi Bastedo; Dave Hickey; Hugh Miner; Rose Jeanne Strakal; Cheryl Bonnell and guests, Kelly Furman and Amber Clingerman.

Kelly and Amber are planning an event in the downtown park for Halloween on Oct. 6th from about 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. The event might include some of the following:
    Kiddie parade   
    Chili cook-off
    Hay ride
    Little maize
    Fried Dough
    Pie eating contest
    And various games
They are asking SPAN for help in publicizing the event.
Span can send fliers around the end of September.
Some support is from the Clyde Police Fund and SOAR can supply two banners.

1 Hugh moved to accept the June minutes, seconded by Tom Castellano. Motion passed.

2. Treasurers report: Treasurer was absent tonight.

3. Membership: Rose Jeanne gave our current membership total as 88. Discussion followed as to best way to contact prospective members – email or post card. Could we tie it in with the alumni event?

4 Discussion of the grant approval and the work Tom Sawtelle has done on the Blockhouse. Two signs are ready now and more are anticipated. Tom will submit a request for a grant that involves a loop trail on the north side of the Erie Canal, between Route 31 and the railroad tracks.
Linda Bell is looking for a micro-enterprise grant (up to 3000). Many ideas are floating around the community.
Hugh Miner moved and Cheryl Bonnell seconded “…that SPAN donates $100. To the early Halloween event.” Motion passed.
Hugh further moved, and Cheryl seconded “…that SPAN donate $125. To the Savannah Art Festival. Motion carried.

5. Discussion of the Boat Tour with suggestions for next year.

6. Discussion of the Barbershop Music event followed. Hugh thinks mid to late October to be held in the high school auditorium. Perhaps SPAN could sell refreshments.

7 Jeff Rice will meet with Hugh Miner, Sandi Bastedo, and John Robert regarding the upgrade to the 3 kiosks.

8. The plaque honoring Lois Benning has been placed near the Municipal Building.

9. Sandi read Dolly Romer’s letter regarding the bus trip to Auburn.

10. Hugh Miner is to get reimbursed $21.87 for the pictures.

11. On Sept 8th, Tom Sawtelle will conduct a walking tour.

12. A discussion followed concerning the Alumni event at the Homecoming Game on Sept.21st. It was suggested that a 5 dollar ticket will get one into the game and to the hors deserve tent. We might try to highlight the anniversary years (58, 68, 78, etc.,) Hugh will work on a poster. Sandi will email Mike Hayden.

13 Hugh moved and Sandi seconded to “…donate the same amount as last year to the Queen Contest.” Motion carried.

14. Hugh motioned and Sandi seconded, “…that the Art Group, a sub- committee of SPAN, be given a separate budget line for the Art Festival”. Motion carried.

15. Meeting adjourned at 8:07

Respectfully submitted,

David Hickey